Melatonin has the following beneficial effects:
- Antioxidant. The hormone is the most powerful of the internal “neutralizers” of free oxygen radicals, which had a carcinogenic effect and accelerated cell aging, damaging DNA, proteins, and lipids.
- Anti-tumor. Melatonin can both signal the cells of the immune system that mutated cells have appeared, and also destroy them on their own when their number is still small.
- It stimulates the immune system by activating the thymus, the “conductor” of the immune system, and the thyroid gland.
- Hormone reduces anxiety, improves the emotional state. Under stress, it reduces the level of adrenaline and some other hormones, showing an anti-stress effect.
- Increases serotonin levels, without which depressive states develop.
- Adaptogenic properties – maintaining immunity in especially difficult periods for him: during a change in weather, climate, while traveling.
- Melatonin acts gently, accelerating to bedtime 1-2 hours after it is taken. It is necessary to take the drug only in the dark.
- According to the testimony of taking the drug, all night after taking it, colorful dreams are dreamed, and the awakening is independent, not much dependent on the alarm; at the same time, the person feels sleepy and awake.
- When melatonin was studied, for its advantages and harm, the dosage of the drug was deliberately exceeded several thousand times. At the same time, no side effects were observed either on this day, or in a week, or in a month. There are data on the intake of 24 grams during the month, while there were no harmful actions either.
- What is Important: melatonin is not addictive.
Harm from melatonin
Only a small number of people who took sleeping pills with melatonin reported about a superficial sleep with frequent awakenings, and in the morning they did not feel like fatigue and weakness.
Such side effects may also be noted:
- stomach discomfort.
Allergic reactions have not been reported as in modern preparations, not extracts from the epiphysis of animals are used, but melatonin, which is synthesized in the laboratory.
About any serious harm from melatonin for the body was not mentioned, but the drug exists on the pharmaceutical market not so long ago – long-term effects have simply not been tracked yet.
Since the harm from synthetic melatonin has not been proven, for the purpose of precaution, it is not recommended for intake without prior medical consultation in such situations:
- during pregnancy and lactation,
- patients with deep depression,
- in cases of epilepsy,
- children under 12 years old
- patients with autoimmune diseases,
- in cases of leukemia.
Thus, the advantages of melatonin are obvious, but there is no evidence or scientifically verified data of the harm from this product. You only need to comply with the dosage, not to take in conditions that are mentioned as contraindications.
Lack of Melatonin
Due to a melatonin deficiency, a person begins to age faster. Free radicals are accumulated in the body, the regulation of body weight is disturbed, which provokes obesity. In women, the risk of early menopause increases, and the risk of breast cancer increases as well.
Increased melatonin levels
An elevated amount of melatonin activates the immune system, stimulates immune cells that actively fight viruses and bacteria transformed by the cells of the body. Thanks to melatonin, immunity distinguishes between “its own” and “alien” more actively, which means that the risk of autoimmune pathologies is reduced. Increasing the concentration of melatonin prevents premature death of brain cells. It helps in improving memory and normalizing mental activity. Melatonin can be sold as an antidepressant, dietary supplement, melatonin tablets – people use it as such if tests have shown that it is not enough of it in their body, or there are reasons to increase it reasonably.